News and Reviews

Why did a catalytic converter fail so apace?

John Paul, aka "the Car Doctor,'' answers readers' car-related questions.

By John Paul @johnfpaul

Q. This past New year'south Eve I heard a racket and thought the muffler had broken. I went to a concatenation repair shop and they told me I needed a new muffler and catalytic converter. I had the catalytic converter replaced by the same shop 3 years ago, at a cost of $one,285. My question is how a catalytic converter can fail in such a short time when the original lasted ten years. I had the machine repaired and I paid another $1,285.00. Later I called their corporate office believing I was taken advantage of and they refunded about half the cost. What do you think happened hither? Should I give them more business or expect elsewhere?

A. If the exhaust organisation was not damaged by outside forces (you drove over something) I would expect it to last much longer. According to the EPA's website: manufacturers of new converters are also required to provide a warranty on the converter shell and end pipes for five years or fifty,000 miles, whichever comes outset, and for 25,000 miles on converter emission performance. Providing you lot have not exceeded the warranty the replacement of the catalytic convertor should have been covered under warranty.

Q. My wife loves her 2010 CR-V which recently tuned 100,000 miles. I searched the vehicle's owner'southward transmission but cannot find whatever info almost replacing the timing belt. My question, is this a business or does she just keep driving?

A. Your wife's Honda CR-Five like many more than cars today have switched back to timing chains. The timing chain should last the life of the vehicle.

Q. I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Land van and I've discovered the heater/defroster blower motor will only operate in the high position. I have had many bug with this van over the years and the van has less than 70,000 miles on it. I think at this point I'm not ready to purchase whatsoever more Chrysler vehicles.

A. Over the years Chrysler vehicles have had their share of quality bug. Today the latest vehicles seem to be much more problem gratis. Regarding your van heater fan, this is a probable a simple repair. The symptom is typical of a faulty fan resistor. The part is less than $xv and the repair shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes.

Q. My 2008 Chevy Trailblazer has the Bank check Engine light come on and off sporadically. Motorcar is running dandy. Dealer did a diagnostic and told me in that location's a "skip,'' so took apart the engine and told me there's a leaky valve and the entire cylinder head needs to be replaced for a toll of $4,700. If their diagnosis is right, can't they simply repair the bad valve?

A. The toll of the repair is every bit much about labor as parts. It tin can take up to 24 hours to remove the cylinder caput and resurface/recondition the existing parts, if the front comprehend needs to be removed and virtually 10 hours if it doesn't. If the entire cylinder head needs replacing the part is $800 as compared to an individual valve that may cost $15-$twenty each. Because the loftier cost of guess I would get a second stance. Regardless this repair volition be expensive and even if just a minimum of work is needed the repair could yet be $2000 with parts and labor.

Readers point out a mistake: In a by cavalcade a reader was looking for a large all-wheel-drive sedan and I fabricated a few suggestions, Ford Taurus, Hyundai Genesis and Chrysler 300 are all certainly good choices. I also recommended the Toyota Avalon which is not all-wheel-drive, but with four snow tires can perform very well in wintery atmospheric condition.

Chat

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com